Saturday, December 10, 2011

Another Brief Glimpse at "Family History: Part I".


           “William wants you to have a nurse,” Josephine sighed, failing to explain her husband’s reasoning, “I know you’re not even sixty, Joel, but the doctor said…” 
            “I don’t care,” he cut her off irately, “I don’t need anybody taking care of me, especially when it’s his idea.” 
            “William is only doing what’s best for you…” 
            “My stepson,” Joel interrupted, “thinks I killed his father. He’s certainly not going to look out for me.”
            “My father is just taking the doctor’s advice, I think,” Edward Alexandre shrugged in an attempt at helping his frustrated mother. “I don’t think he’s trying to kill you, if that’s what you’re implying.” 
            “Well, I’d like to kill me,” Joel snapped. 

In this scene, Josephine, the wife of William Thalo, tries to convince the rapidly aging Joel Barrett to consent to having a caretaker.  Joel, relentless and miserable, only fights the idea.

(Note: William Thalo is Joel's stepson, and Joel Barrett is the grandson of Collie Barrett. The scene in question takes place in 1885, seventy-three years after the first scene.)

No comments:

Post a Comment