Wednesday, April 25, 2012

So We've Found Our Problem. We've Justified that the Problem Needs to Be Fixed. Now What?

Today, I had somebody ask me if a reason was a solution.

"Young girls should have better access to birth control [specifically Plan B] because it is safe."

IS THIS A SOLUTION?

First off, I'm going to start off simple here, by going to Dictionary.com and searching the word "Solution."

Solution: the act of solving a problem, question, etc.: The situation is approaching solution.


How does telling you that something is safe solve anything?

Yes, I did say, "Girls should have better access to birth control," but I didn't propose a solution to the problem.

Nowhere in that statement did I say, "Consider writing to your representatives about the issue" or "Consider starting a petition about eliminating restrictions for girls to acquire Plan B."

Because those are solutions. Or at least, that's as close as we can get to solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment